Children can have many fears–of the dark, going to bed, or new places. The fears can change with their age or experiences, and sometimes we don’t understand their fears. But for children, those fears can be very real.
Talk with your child’s teacher, doctor or health care professional if your child is having difficulty with fears, or you feel the fears are causing problems with your child.
You can also read books with your child about the fears others may have and how they coped with those fears.
Print this list and take it to your local library. The librarian can help you find the books on this list. Then read the books with your child and talk about what you read.
10 Books about Being Afraid.
- When I Feel Scared by Cornelia Spelman
- There’s an Alligator Under My Bed by Mercer Mayer
- Franklin in the Dark by Paulette Bourgeois
- Orion and the Dark by Emma Yarlett
- The Thing Lou Couldn’t Do by Ashley Spires
- The Doghouse by Jan Thomas
- Miss Hazeltine’s Home for Shy and Fearful Cats by Alicia Potter
- There’s a Nightmare in my Closet by Mercer Mayer
- Can’t You Sleep, Little Bear? by Martin Waddell
- The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything by Linda D. Williams