Families, friends and partners in communities across Pennsylvania are reading the 2016 PA One Book, Every Young Child selection, Kite Day: A Bear and Mole Story by author and illustrator, Will Hillenbrand to classrooms.
Do you have a picture of a Kite Day reading? Send it to Mary at email@example.com and see it on this page! If you’re promoting a reading on your website, in your newsletter, or via your social media, be sure to use the #PAOneBook and #KiteDay hashtags to help others find it!
Staff at the South Central Regional Key welcome 2016 PA One Book Author, Will Hillenbrand, at the March 29 professional development event.
First Lady Frances Wolf Discusses Importance of Early Learning at “One Book, Every Child” Event at the Pollock Childcare Center in Harrisburg on April 28, 2016.
Deb Hartley, Executive Secretary at the Office of Child Development and Early Learning, reads at Discovery Junction in Middletown, PA.
Kevin Youngblood, Office of Child Development and Early Learning, Bureau of Certification, Human Services Program Specialist reads to preschoolers at Wilson College Child Care Center in Chambersburg on April 8, 2016.
Kelsey O’Brien, Communications Specials for Professional Development and Technical Assistance from the PA Key reads at Caring Hands Learning Center in Hershey on April 13, 2016.
Barb Willard of the Southwest Regional Key reads to children at the Kiddie Academy in Cranberry Township on April 15, 2016.
Sara Kiehn, a STARS Specialist, reads to children at the Kindercare Learning Center – Penn Hills, Pittsburgh location.
Tricia Slifkey, an OCDEL staff person, reading to children at Tender Care Learning Center.
Mrs. Umble, the school librarian at Beth Center Elementary read this year’s selection Kite Day to the Pre-K children at the Beth Center’s Pre-K Counts classroom.
Mrs. Figlioli, the school district’s assistant superintendent, reads to preschool class at Burgettstown Pre-K Counts classroom.
Ms. Charlene Jones reads to the children in the toddler classroom at the Mt. Ararat Community Activity Center – Early Childhood Development Center in Pittsburgh.
Ms. Erin Johnson reads to the children in the infant classroom at the Mt. Ararat Community Activity Center – Early Childhood Development Center in Pittsburgh.
Mr. Headlee, the Elementary School Principal, reads to preschoolers at Waynesburg Central Elementary Pre-K classroom.
Mr. Scott Martin, the Superintendent of Bentworth, read to students at the Bentworth Pre-K classroom.
Representative John McGinnis of the 79th Legislative District in Blair County visited with the children at Begin With Us Child Care and Preschool, Inc. on April 18, 2016. He and his assistant, Katie, read and talked about the PA One Book, “Kite Day, A Bear and Mole Story.”
CCIS of Berks County staff members Harriet Iezzi and Kim Lamp visited Kidz Paradise, a local child care facility, on April 19, 2016 as participants of the PA One Book, Every Young Child Program. Kim and Harriet read to the children and facilitated an activity during which each child created a bird’s nest.
Linda McDonough read to the PA Pre-K counts classroom children at Shade, Central City, PA on April 21, 2016.
Guest reader,Sara Kiehn, STARS Specialist, was welcomed by Melissa Cujas, Head Teacher and the children at the Pittsburgh Public Schools Chartiers Early Childhood Center.
Mary P. Hall, Communication & Outreach Specialist for the PA Key, reads to preschoolers at Otterbein Early Education Center in Mount Wolf, PA.
Joanne Blass, Director Child Care Information Services of Columbia, Montour and Northumberland Counties had the honor of reading to a Head Start classroom in Montour County during #WOYC.
The children at the Westmoreland Community Action Donegal Head Start Center enjoyed their read aloud and kite activities with guest Patti Jo Rak on May 3, 2016.
Betsy Vassallo from the Southeast Regional Key, reads the PA One Book, Kite Day, to children at Aunt Di’s Child Care Services in Philadelphia.
Rainbow’s End Learning Center, Washington, PA enjoyed having Washington County Commissioner Harlan Shober read to the children. Commissioner Shober read a few books for the children, and then answered lots of questions from the children. He also enjoyed hearing stories and learning about the chicks and ducklings that had just hatched in the classroom.
Check out these links of others who were PA One Book readers!
- Sheriff Daniel Woods went to the Smethport Family Center and read the story Kite Day, A Bear and Mole Story to a group of young children on March 15, 2016.
- Greater Susquehanna Valley United Way, President/CEO, Joanne Troutman, reads “Kite Day” to kids at the Mifflinburg Children’s Center on April 12.
- Snyder County District Attorney, Mike Piecuch, read to children at the Middleburg Elementary School on April 12.
- Sherry Feeser reads to Mrs. Bishop’s Class on April 12
- Montgomery Early Learning Centers’ Chief Executive Officer Ann O’Brien celebrates Week of the Young Child with the Pottstown Center’s pre-k classrooms on Aprli 12.
- Nikki Krize, reporter with WNEP-TV read to preschoolers at Lewisburg Children’s Center on April 13.
- Rep. James Roebuck read to preschool and pre-K classrooms at the Montgomery Early Learning Center’s Infant Friendship Center on April 14.
- Mayor Thaddeus Kirkland visits with children and the PA One Book at J. Lewis Crozer Library on April 14.
- CARE Board Members Anne Hardy and Mick Marshall stopped by Rainbow Corner Preschool on April 14 to read the #PAOneBook
- Kim Pfeffer reads at Dumpling Grounds Day Care Center in Philadelphia on April 15.
- PA State Rep. Tom Quigley reads to preschool children at Pottstown Center on April 15.
- R. Scott Jeffery of Scranton, reads to preschoolers at ABC Academy in Carbondale on April 15, 2016.
- Becca Roush and friend surprised the kids in a local early education center with finger puppets that the Newport High School textiles class on April 15, 2016.
- Michaelle Book, STARS Specialist from the Keystone STARS program, reads in the toddler room of Mifflinburg Children’s Center on April 15, 2016.
- Mr. Gaetano was guest reader at the Kane Family Center’s Parent-Child Group on April 16, 2016.
- Participants using materials from the #PAOneBook Traveling Trunk & exploring ideas from the Kite Day Activity Guide at a PD event on April 19, 2016.
- Commissioner Mike Baker reads to children at LOLAs Early Care and Education Center in Homer City on April 19, 2016.
- First Lady Frances Wolf Discusses Importance of Early Learning at One Book, Every Child Event on April 28, 2016.
- PA State Rep. Lynda Culver and CSIU administrators Lynn Cromley and Jennifer Williams read to children in CSIU Head Start programs as part of the PA One Book Early Literacy initiative on April 28, 2016.
- As part of Month of the Young Child, Mrs. P was the mystery reader at Elbow Lane School on April 28, 2016.
- St. Boniface Center celebrated One Book, Every Child with a reading of Kite Day, written and illustrated by Will Hillenbrand and read by Minerva Perez from Keystone STARS on April 29, 2016.